Office: Fisk B7C
Clarke L. Caywood, Ph.D. is a full professor and tenured member of the Integrated Marketing Communications Department in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications at Northwestern University. He was one of four faculty who created and designed the IMC program. He is the first tenured professor of public relations to teach PR at Northwestern’s Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications. Professor Caywood teaches graduate classes in public relations, marketing, social and business media, crisis management, communications management and marketing PR.
Dr. Caywood has published numerous articles and book chapters on advertising and marketing in business and political campaigns, research on values in contemporary advertising and teaching integrated marketing communications. Caywood is editor of the first and second editions of the Handbook of Strategic Public Relations & Integrated Communications 2012 (McGraw-Hill).
He was named by PRWeek as one of the most influential 100 PR people of the 20th century and one of the top 10 outstanding educators in 2000. He was named Educator of the Year by the Public Relations Society of America with the PRSA Anvil prize. He was also named the Educator of the Year for the Sales and Marketing Executives of the Chicago area. He has served as vice-president of marketing for start-up company eMarketWorld. He has worked for two past governors and the attorney general of the state of Wisconsin. He ran a number of state campaigns in Wisconsin and has served as a political expert for ABC TV Channel 7 Chicago. Since 2004 he has spoken extensively to business audiences in China and Chinese business leaders in the U.S. Honored as an educator; he carried the Olympic Torch in Lijiang, China. He holds a number of honorary teaching posts with Chinese universities.
He is a member of the board of Aidmatrix.org which is a global disaster relief organization using advanced supply chain solutions. He is also a member and former trustee of the A.W. Page Society. He is founding publisher and continues as publisher of the Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications. He is a member of the Board of the Journal of Interactive Advertising (University of Texas-Austin), the new Case Research Journal (University North Carolina-Chapel Hill) and the Journal of Public Relations. He is a member of the American Academy of Advertising, the Public Relations Society of America and the American Marketing Association.
Professor Caywood received his joint doctorate in Business (Management) and in Journalism-Mass Communications (Advertising and Public Relations) from the faculty of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He also earned a Master’s of Science in Public Affairs in the first class of the Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas-Austin and a Bachelor’s of Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Dr. Caywood holds a joint doctorate from the Graduate School of Business and the Graduate School of Journalism and Mass Communications (Advertising/Public Relations) from the University of Wisconsin at Madison (1986) and a graduate degree in Public Affairs from the Lyndon B. Johnson School, University of Texas at Austin (1972). He holds a B.B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1969).
in Calder, "The Future of Public Relations," Kellogg on Advertising and Media, Wiley (2008).
Caywood, Clarke. “People Performance Measured at NWU”,Corporate Public Issues and Their Management, Vol. XXVI, No. 4 April 2004.
The Customer Management Scorecard: Managing CRM for Profit, Woodcock, Neil; Stone, Merlin; Foss, Bryan, Publisher: Kogan Page, “The role of customer information management and usage in best practice customer management” - Dave Irwin, Clarke Caywood and Iain Henderson, 2003.
Institute of Public Relations, International Conference on Research, Proceedings, “New Metrics for Public Relations: A Call for Research”
The highly successful “Handbook for Strategic Public Relations and Integrated Communications” will be republished. The book was the top seller in its category of “PR” for several years.
“New Media Metrics for Internal Marketing Communications” for Harvard Communications Publication.
1. Board of Editors member, Journal of Interactive Advertising 2000-present
2. Ad Hoc Reviewer Journal of Marketing, Journal of Advertising 1995-present
3. Founder, reviewer and publisher for the Journal of Integrated Marketing Communication, 1991-present
4. Keynote speaker (2004) to National Black Public Relations Society, Chicago
5. Speaker (2004) Hitachi National Brand Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
6. Speaker (2004) National Healthcare Conferences, CCDHCC/TETHIC/HCRIC
7. Washington, D.C. and Las Vegas Nevada
8. Speaker (2004) Biz360, National training program, San Mateo, CA.
9. Speaker (2004) for National Public Relations Association, NYC for two sessions, including 4 hour training session
10. Speaker to Council of PR Firms, NYC, 2004
11. Speaker (2004) Northwestern Alumni Club, Medill Clubs in NYC, Detroit and LA on politics
12. Speaker and Seminar Leader (2004) Tellabs Corporation, Evanston
13. Speaker (2004) to the Michigan State Public Relations Society, Pontiac
14. Speaker/Panel (2004) Technology Conference Public Relations Society of America, Philadelphia
15. Speaker 2003 and 2004) to the Notre Dame Corporate Communications Conference, South Bend
16. Speaker (2004) to the Research Committee of the Council of PR Firms, NYC
17. Speaker (2004) Webinars for BIZ360 on PR Measurement, from Evanston
18. Speaker (2004) Webinars for Bank of America on PR Measurement, Charlotte.
19. Speaker/Seminar Leader (1999-2004) for National Association for Printing Leadership (Chicago and Milwaukee)
20. Speaker and Seminar Leader (1996-2003) National Association of Investor Relations, Evanston
21. Speaker (2004) International Association of Business Communicators, Los Angeles Speaker
22. Debate on the Presidential Advertising for NU, NYC, Detroit, Los Angeles, Chicago
23. Multiple appearances on Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC TV in Chicago on the Presidential debates, Fall 2004.
24. Appearances on WTTW, public television, Chicago Tonight 2003 and 2004 (and 2005)
Awards / Professional Organizations
One of the Most Influential 100 PR People of the 20th Century, PRWeek (October 18, 1999)One of the Top 10 Outstanding Educators in 2000, PRWeek (February 7, 2000)Educator of the Year, Public Relations Society of America (2002-2003)Sales and Marketing Educator Award, Sales and Management Executives - Chicago Chapter
Professor Caywood is a member of the American Academy of Advertising, the American Marketing Association, the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and a number of other professional societies. He is a past member of the Board of eMarket World (a web marketing conference company) and Vice President of the firm (2000-2001). He is a past Trustee and a member of the Arthur W. Page Society as well as a past member and co-chair of the national awards committee of the PRSA.
He is also publisher and founder (1991) of the Journal of Integrated Marketing Communications. He is a former trustee of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago and former member of the Board of Governor’s of the Chicago Symphony.