Welcome to Medill Career Services. We look forward to assisting you build your career. It's never too early to begin thinking about directions and how internships and other experiences can best lead you to your first job after graduation.
Here are some links to our services. We encourage you to read all the information to learn how we might assist you.
- 2014 Career and Internship Fair
- Schedule a Counseling Appointment
- JOUR 388-0 Internship Course Registration
- Job-Search Resources
- Medill Fellowship Program - To be announced in mid-April 2014
Accessing our services:
Medill Career Services offerings are available to all students in Medill degree programs. Career advisers coach students by phone and email as well as in person on campus. We are also available to you by phone or email when you’re away from the Evanston campus studying abroad or on your Journalism Residency.
Our advising and programming cover a variety of career management issues, including job-search strategies, resume and cover letter review and interview preparation.
If you would like to schedule an individual career advising session, please see instructions on how to request an appointment through MEDILLINK, our career management system. If you have questions, call MCS at 847-491-2049 for assistance.
Services we provide:
Individual Career Advising – Our advising covers search strategy, offer-negotiation strategy, self-assessment support, resume and cover letter review and other issues.
MEDILLINK – Our career management system was created exclusively for Medill students and alumni. The database allows you to:
- Upload multiple cover letters, resumes, clips and other documents
- Apply directly to Medill-specific jobs posted in the system
- Search for Medill-specific jobs, internships and fellowships
- Save settings for job searches to be used again at the click of a button
- Set automatic notifications to announce when new postings are in the system
- Request and view appointments with Medill Career Services staff, RSVP to upcoming events and register for workshops
- Log in to MEDILLINK with your NetID and password
Biweekly eNewsletters - We send announcements to current student listservs with leads to jobs for which employers specifically request Medill applicants; and information on upcoming recruitment, information sessions and workshop events.
On-Campus/Virtual Recruiting - MCS coordinates on-campus recruiting in the fall and winter quarters for full-time journalism jobs and internships.
Medill Career & Internship Fair - MCS coordinates a spring career fair for journalism employers who seek summer interns as well as full-time employees. The next Career & Internship Fair will be held on April 16, 2014. Access the document library in MEDILLINK for a copy of last year's Career Fair Guide and listing of participating employers and job openings.
Where we're located:
Medill Career Services
Resource Center: Fisk Hall, Room 106
Staff offices: Fisk Hall, Room 107
1845 Sheridan Road Evanston, IL 60208
Office hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Maintaining ethical standards is critical to sustaining the high regard that employers have for Medill and our students. Unethical behavior will not be tolerated by the administration or Medill Career Services and may result in suspension of MCS privileges, including participation in on-campus recruiting and the spring career fair. Examples of unethical behavior include:
- Reneging on acceptance of employment
- Plagiarizing cover letters and/or resumes
Misrepresenting experience on a resume