JOUR 388-0, 499-2 Internship Course
Many employers offering unpaid internships often request that students submit proof that they can enroll in an academic internship course simultaneously to the internship. This typically allows the employer to satisfy guidelines for unpaid internships established by the US Department of Labor.
As a result, Medill has created three special courses that fulfill this requirement: JOUR 388-0: Internship for undergraduate journalism students; JOUR 499-2: Internship for graduate journalism students; and, IMC 499-2: Internship for IMC graduate students. These Internship courses are assigned zero-credit and do not accumulate toward a student’s credit hour requirements.
Since these zero-credit courses do not carry a tuition charge for students who register, we are only providing these course options when the circumstances require it.
Please read through the following information before clicking on the Link for the registration form at the bottom of this page.
Enrollment: to enroll in either course, you must register by the course registration deadlines listed below and be in good academic standing.
- JOUR 388-0/499-2 Internship Course Registration Deadlines:
- Fall Quarter 2012: September 27, 2012
- Winter Quarter 2013: January 7, 2013
- Spring Quarter 2013: April 2, 2013
- Summer Quarter 2012: June 24, 2013
Completing registration form: On the registration form you will be asked for demographic and contact information. We particularly need the following information. Please have it ready when you click the link below to complete the form:
NOTE on FORM:
Section IV: Medill Career Services Information on Registration Choices
- If you HAVE NOT or HAVE accepted an internship:
- When you check that you have not yet accepted the internship, Medill Career Services (MCS) will hold registration until you notify us that you have accepted. Your enrollment, upon approval from academic administration committee, will not be automatic in this case. MCS does not assume responsibility for registering you in the applicable 388-0/499-2 course until you confirm your acceptance of an unpaid internship by email to email@example.com.
- When you check that you have accepted an internship, upon approval, you are authorizing MCS to enroll you in the course. A change in your decision to enroll will require that you drop the course through MCS and not through CAESAR.
Verification Letter: The registration form will also ask about whether or not you need a verification letter sent to the employer that indicates you will be enrolled in the internship course. It is important to complete the employer contact information on the form in order for MCS to send this letter. Be sure to check the method of delivery you would like us to use: email, postal mail, fax or student pick-up. Upon receipt, we will generate this letter.
Evaluation of your performance: Towards the end of the quarter we will send your employer's internship supervisor an evaluation, which when completed and returned to us will determine your grade, either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. This grade will be reflected on your permanent academic records. We also ask the supervisor to meet with you to share the evaluation before you leave.
As a reminder, your enrollment in this internship course is not a requirement of Medill's curriculum. This course will not aggregate any hours of credit to your cumulative total, but it will appear on your official transcript and be part of your permanent academic record. As an additional benefit, especially since the internship is unpaid, the course is tuition-free.
To register, fill out the JOUR 388-0/JOUR 499-2/IMC 499-2 Form online. Upon completion, MCS will provide proof of enrollment to your employer by issuing a verification letter. Upon acceptance of the internship, please notify MCS so we can officially enroll you in the course.